Can Client Access access a PC's serial port?

Miscellaneous questions and discussions regarding communications (TCP, SNA, etc) and file transfer (FTP, SNADS, etc)

Can Client Access access a PC's serial port?

Postby jonathan » Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Message Imported From Previous Version of Website

I'm using Client Access emulation sessions to run POS software written in RPG/400 and ILE RPG. So far, I've been using keyboard wedge devices to scan the MICR on checks and swipe the magnetic stripe on credit cards for credit authorization, and that works well.

Now, however, the needs have evolved to where I'd like to be able to use PIN pads, signature capture devices, and maybe other gadgets . All of these seem to have only serial port attachment capability, not keyboard wedge. I can see why -- images, for example, would contain characters not found on a keyboard and not anything you could or would want to send to a display screen.

Has anyone ever done this? Any ideas?

If this wasn't clear, please let me know.
Analyst/Programmer
www.astradyne.net
jonathan

Re: Can Client Access access a PC's serial port?

Postby jonathan » Fri May 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Reply Imported From Previous Version of Website

I don't think Client Access itself could access the PC's serial port, but could you use a serial keyboard linked into a PIN pad wedge and then it would work in the same way as your other devices.  There's an article on the net at http://www.sisk12solutions.com/srnewitems/item012002.htm which talks about serial PIN pads.

The only other thought I've got at the moment would be to have a program that opens up a TCP/IP socket connection to the AS/400 and monitors the serial port.  When data is read a TCP/IP message would be sent to the AS400 and you would have a polling program that read the TCP/IP message and handled it.

I'll keep thinking about it and if I come up with anything else will let you know.
Analyst/Programmer
www.astradyne.net
jonathan

Return to Communications