Subfile Messages

Questions and discussions on all versions of the RPG programming language, from RPG II to ILE RPG IV.

Subfile Messages

Postby jonathan » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Message Imported From Previous Version of Website

Help... it's been awhile since I've done this.

I have a subfile (that works correctly). I want to be able to choose a function key to roll through a file and update certain records.

When I hit this key (F21) I load a message field, in the footer of the subfile, from an array of messages (basically saying please wait). I want it to display in the footer before I go into the processing procedure.

I load the field but it doesn't display. I write the footer but it still doesn't display unless I do an "EXFMT" on the control section which I can't because I'm not waiting for anymore input.

I've done this before but it's been awhile and I can't find anything to reference what I've done before.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Analyst/Programmer
www.astradyne.net
jonathan

Re: Subfile Messages

Postby jonathan » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Reply Imported From Previous Version of Website

Re: Subfile messages

Have you set the DFRWRT parameter on the CRTDSPF command to *NO.  It usually defaults to *YES which prevents the output from being visible until the EXFMT or READ operation is made.

If that doesn't work, an alternative would be to use the DDS "INVITE" keyword to invite a record to be read.  You can't use it on a subfile, so you would have to create a blank format with a non-displayed and protected I/O field and the OVERLAY and INVITE keywords specified.  Then you would WRITE your record formats ending with the "new" blank one and READ it straight away.  If memory serves you can't use EXFMT for INVITEd displays, but it's a long time since I used it.

Hope that helps a little if you still have problems let us know and we can have another think.

All the best

Jonathan
Analyst/Programmer
www.astradyne.net
jonathan

Return to RPG Programming